"The mission of the Otsego County Commission on Aging is promoting the independence and well-being of the older adults of Otsego County and supporting family caregivers."
OCCA provides a variety of services including:
* Adult Day Services - Otsego Haus: "Are you a family caregiver in need of help with personal care services for a family member or a break from your caregiving responsibilities? Our caring staff is ready to provide daytime care for your loved one at our Otsego Haus Adult Day Services Center while you go to work, run errands, do chores, exercise, participate in social activities, and/or just get the rest you need to stay healthy!"
* Advocacy: "The mission of the Advocacy Department is to provide compassionate and confidential assistance and support to older adults, and/or their caregivers, who are dealing with various life issues. "
* Caregiver, Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, and Parkinson's Support Group
* "Creating Confident Caregivers Workshop: Creating Confident Caregivers (CCC) is an exciting new program being offered in Gaylord for family caregivers of persons with dementia/memory loss. Statewide, over 1,000 caregivers have participated in the program!"
* Fall Reduction Programs
* In-home Services: "The OCCOA In-Home Service Department provides homemaking, personal care, respite care and friendly reassurance to eligible older adults in Otsego County (60 years of age or older). Our current staff of 16 service providers provide services to over 250 clients. Our departments goal is to assist older adults in maintaining a healthy and clean environment in which to live independently for as long as is safely possible. Service is available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., for those who qualify. Frequency of service is determined by need, as assessed by our medical resource coordinator."
* Meal Programs: "OCCOA provides nutritious meals for older adults in congregate meal settings, and to homebound older adults in Otsego County. Operating Standards from the Michigan Office of Services to the Aging help ensure that this valuable program is nutritionally sound, and available on a donation basis."
* Medical Transportation Program: "Persons needing transportation to in-county medical appointments are encouraged to contact the Otsego County Bus System (OCBS) at (989) 732-6224, ext. 1."
* Medicare/ Medicaid Assistance Program: "MMAP is a free, health-benefits counseling service for Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries and their families or caregivers. MMAPs mission is to educate, advocate, counsel and empower people to make informed benefit decisions. On the national level, these programs are called State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP). MMAP is Michigans SHIP."
* Senior Project Fresh/ Market Fresh:" The Otsego County Commission on Aging, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, MSU Extension, the Gaylord Downtown Development Authority, and the Gaylord Farmers' Cooperative offer a program targeted at bringing fresh locally-grown produce and nutritional information to the older adults of Otsego County. Known as Senior Project FRESH/Market FRESH (SPF/MF), the program offers a free coupon booklet to each qualifying participant that can be used to purchase unprocessed Michigan-grown produce at any of the farmers markets or roadside stands in Michigan that display a “Senior Project FRESH/Market FRESH” sign. Each coupon booklet contains ten $2.00 coupons. Each booklet is valued at $20.00. "
* Technology services, classes, and club
* Volunteer Opportunity: "The OCCOA Volunteer program provides volunteer opportunities for individuals, as well as groups, to volunteer their time and talents to "help and care" for the older adults in Otsego County. Currently, over 350 volunteers assist the agency with over 30 programs and activities. The volunteer program seeks to add meaning to the lives of the older adults served, and provide meaningful opportunities for volunteers. "
120 Grandview Blvd., Gaylord, Michigan 49735
Adult and Aging Services, Adult Day/ In-Home Services, Caregiver Support, Other Senior Services, General Transportation, Support Groups, Senior Meals, Other Food Assistance, State of Michigan (Government Services)
Contact the agency directly for more information. Must be a resident of Otsego county.